Three years to the day after deaths of children in rental home, agents reminded of law

Three years to the day after two small children died in a rental property where the agent had not fitted smoke alarms, the fire service yesterday issued a video urging agents and landlords to observe their legal responsibilities.

On February 20, 2016, three-year-old Logan Taylor and his brother Jake Casey, aged two, died in a fire in the family home in Huddersfield.

The letting agent, Kamal Bains, was jailed last July for 12 months for failing to fit smoke alarms in the house.

He had faced two manslaughter charges but midway through a two-week trial pleaded guilty to an alternative charge at Leeds Crown Court.

The court heard how the boys’ mother tried desperately to save them after the fire started in their bedroom, but was overcome by smoke.

West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service has now produced a video aimed at letting agents and landlords.

Deputy chief fire officer Dave Walton said: “This was a desperately tragic case for everyone affected by it and without doubt the boys’ memory will stay with the attending and investigating fire-fighters for the rest of their lives also.

“On the third year anniversary of the boys’ loss we want to remind landlords and letting agencies of their responsibilities to install smoke alarms on every storey of their rented properties and carbon monoxide alarms in any room containing a solid fuel burning appliance.

“Do not take the risk with people’s lives and do not think that a fire ‘will never happen’ – it could.

“If you are a private sector landlord or letting agent, then take your responsibilities seriously and take heed of this warning.”

It is not, perhaps, the most exciting or slick of videos – but it is certainly one that should be watched.

Homesearch EOS
x

Email the story to a friend



2 Comments

  1. DarrelKwong43

    The most important news article on PIE today.

    do a simple fire risk assessment on all property you manage, own or live in yourself, could be the difference between someone living and dying.

    don’t forget *fire* is one of the hazards under HHSRS.

    Report
  2. stephenknock07

    This is truly a sad case.

    However tenants must begin to take some responsibilities.

    I often inspect properties that as per legalisation have a smoke detector installed and working , but had been removed or battery removed.

    In relation to testing ,purely pushing a button confirms the alarm works. In reality one should do a smoke test. Wouldn’t surprise me if the government announced we need to test annually along with placing tenants rubbish out weekly for collection. All for free, god forbid if we were to charge them a fee for it.

    Report
X

You must be logged in to report this comment!

Comments are closed.

Thank you for signing up to our newsletter, we have sent you an email asking you to confirm your subscription. Additionally if you would like to create a free EYE account which allows you to comment on news stories and manage your email subscriptions please enter a password below.