The online service for use to reclaim Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) is available from today (26th May)
The Coronavirus Statutory Sick Pay Rebate Scheme will repay employers the SSP paid to current or former employees.
The repayment will cover up to 2 weeks starting from the first qualifying day of sickness, if an employee is unable to work because they either:
– have coronavirus (COVID-19) symptoms
– cannot work because they are self-isolating because someone they live with has symptoms
– are shielding and have a letter from the NHS or a GP telling them to stay at home for at least 12 weeks
You can claim for periods of sickness starting on or after:
– 13 March 2020 – if your employee had coronavirus or the symptoms or is self-isolating because someone they live with has symptoms
– 16 April 2020 – if your employee was shielding because of coronavirus
The weekly rate was £94.25 before 6 April 2020 and is now £95.85.
If you’re an employer who pays more than the weekly rate of SSP you can only claim up to the weekly rate paid.