To stay a fish or become a shark

HOME The Arena Lettings & Management Forum To stay a fish or become a shark

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• Author

ammik

I run a small south coast sales and letting agency. We take real pride in being upfront, especially with fees.

As a family we need to look for somewhere in the Midlands for my wife who’ll be away from home four nights a week, and came across Chattings, a letting agency in Lichfield.

I’ve been kind of passive while my wife looks into things. But one communication from these guys really stood out today.

Email from the neg contains tenant fees plus VAT (e.g £200+VAT). Website shows £200 including VAT. On Rightmove, yet another set of fees. So three different sets of fees.

Relying on their website and emails, I’ve no idea who owns Chattings.

I’ve no idea if they have client money protection insurance. No mention of it on their website.

I’ve no idea what they charge landlords and tenants as no information exists on their website for landlords, and tenant info is very minimal.

I’ve raised a complaint and pointed a few things out. Helpfully, I’ll add. While awaiting a response, I see that they are ARLA registered, so pop along there to see if it can offer any further information on the ownership.

Countrywide Residential Lettings Limited

Not the first time I’ve come across CRL in this scenario. And again I find myself thinking, stay a fish or become a shark.

• This topic was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by  ammik.
    • This topic was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by  ammik.

PeeBee

smile please

Long term gain or short term gain?

You can be a shark and probably profit quite well in the short term. But ask yourself, How many people say nice things regarding CW?

Look at the long term, build your business on honesty and service, you will receive so much more and it will be a nicer place to work.

I saw a post earlier in the Arena, an NAEA agent asking the vendor to take viewings on a property whilst they were under a sole agency agreement to another buyer. Goes to show what a joke the NAEA is. I would guess this agent will have done this to others and has a bad rep. This stuff spreads and hard to lose the reputation.

ammik

You can be a shark and probably profit quite well in the short term. But ask yourself, How many people say nice things regarding CW?

But they still get the business… and that really hacks me off because in essence people are settling for mediocre. I don’t expect my little business to revolutionise nor educate the masses overnight. But companies like CRL are massive businesses that appears to be able to flout quite openly, with little regard, and can afford a fine (on the odd occasion TSA actually lift their head off the desk to see what’s out there). Me? Financially I just can’t afford to operate like that.

Maybe I’m just having a low day but I can, rightly or wrongly, see the appeal of the don’t give a stuff, use sharp practices and phoenix when it catches up with you.

But then on the other side, a landlord came into the office this afternoon moaning about a a very large company and asked me to take over management.

Back to my pond then.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by  ammik.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.