Gifted white goods

HOME The Arena Lettings & Management Forum Gifted white goods

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• Author

ammik

I’ve a landlord that wants to get the tenants to look after repairing the washing machine if it goes wrong.

My view is given the changes introduced this year that she cannot do that as  a tenant cannot be forced into a third party arrangement (which they would be if they needed to get a repair person in). I’ve suggested to the landlord to gift the appliance, which transfers ownership to the tenant, and by default repair responsibility.

But I can’t think of a way to stop the tenant taking the washing machine when they go – which they could argue they could if it was gifted. And the landlord wants to ensure the machine stays.

In my view the only way to ensure it stays is for the landlord to maintain repair responsibility. Or am I thinking the wrong way on this?

smile please

Put a clause saying they landlord will not repair or replace appliance should it go wrong.

ammik

I don’t think we can. The official TFA guidance from HM Gov:

A landlord is always responsible for repairs to:

• the property’s structure and exterior

• basins, sinks, baths and other sanitary fittings including pipes and drains

• heating and hot water

• gas appliances, pipes, flues and ventilation

• electrical wiring

Landlords are also responsible for any damage they cause by attempting repairs, and for repairing and replacing any appliances that they supply, such as white goods or furniture.

PeeBee

I take it that the washing machine is free-standing and not integrated – otherwise your LL really doesn’t have a snowball’s chance.

Question.

Rather than “gifting” the washer, could you not “gift” the use of it – subject to a repairing clause for non-wear and tear faults?

Just a thought.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.